Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blessings....

Have you ever been blessed so much that you felt the need to do something with that blessing?

Jason and I have a bible study in our home every Tuesday, but thanks to my wonderfully active, and extremely attached daughter, I am not able to participate as of lately. So I am making the bible study my quiet time so that when Mikayla eventually gets over this separation anxiety, I will be able to follow along. Dear Lord, please let that be soon.

Anyways, the study was on Luke 4:31-44. The part that really spoke to me was when Jesus healed Peter's mother-in-law from her fever and illness. Now I gather that this was no every day cold bug, but rather an illness that was possibly life threatening. Then comes my favorite part:

39 So he bent over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up at once and began to wait on them.

She got up at once and, here's the kicker, began to wait on them! It did not say, "She sat there for a long while and absorbed what just happened, and then got up and went about her business as usual." She got up and served them.

Now, I went back to Matthew and Mark, and read their recordings of this story. Both versions included the fact that she immediately got up and began to wait on them. This was a detail that none of the writers of the Gospel neglected to notice. Why?

Could it be because this is how we are supposed to react when we are blessed? When we are healed? When we see God's miraculous work? Surely this story was very similar to ALL the other stories about Jesus healing those who are ill, so why did this one get its own recognition?

I don't for sure know why, but I really do think it has to do with this woman's heart. To feel so moved from being healed that she couldn't help but serve. She didn't even spend time thanking Jesus (as far as I know) she just began serving. I would venture to guess that that was thanks enough for Jesus.

So, what do you do when you are blessed? It could be with money, family, love, happiness, healing, coffee at Starbucks, whatever you consider "blessed." What do you do with it?

I think this is a case where actions speak louder than words (cliche, I know). Let's do something with our blessings! Yes, God loves to hear a "thanks", but I am sure He would love to see a "thanks" as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment